CPR certification. It’s time to take a CPR and First Aid course so you can start searching the web. Tons of choices are available: CPR, BLS, AED, CPR for the professional rescuer, etc. Which one do you need? Let’s look at each individually:


CPR and AED are the basic CPR class available. This will cover adult, child and infant CPR, AED (Automated External Defibrillator), and conscious and unconscious suffocation. This course is perfect for parents, teachers, personal trainers, security guards, babysitters, etc. It is important to ensure that you get a 2-year CPR certification card with this course. Make sure it is taught through the American Heart Association (AHA) or the American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI).Chicago CPR Classes

BLS (Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider)

The BLS for the Healthcare Provider CPR is an American Heart Association course that covers all of the above, along with 2-person CPR, AED, and a pouch valve mask. It is the required course for medical personnel, firefighters, paramedics, doctors, dentists and nurses. If you will be working in a hospital, be sure to take this course. Many hospitals will only accept certification through the AHA.

CPR for the professional rescuer

CPR for the professional rescuer is similar to the BLS course, but is taught through the American Red Cross. It is also a 2 year certification however it is not as readily accepted as the BLS class. If you have a choice, I would not recommend the CPR courses of the Red Cross!

Corporate / group training

Need CPR group training? Some CPR training companies will come to your company and train your employees on site! Don’t forget to ask!

Still not sure which class you need? Let us help you! Ask us below!

Zack Zarrilli is a firefighter and the owner of SureFire CPR. His company is made up of firefighters, paramedics, lifeguards and EMTs who teach hundreds of CPR, AED, and first aid courses each year. SureFire CPR instructors teach from their real-world experience and specialize in on-site CPR and first aid training throughout Southern California.

Did you find the above article helpful? If so, visit http://www.SureFireCPR.com for more information or to take a course. SureFire CPR currently offers CPR courses in Orange County, Los Angeles County, San Diego County, Riverside County and Inland Empire.